Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Deftone
New Contributor

IPsec Phase 2 time-out?

Hi guys,

I have a strange problem with an IPsec between two Fortigates. Maybe someone could help me out :) 

I have IPSec is running between two locations A-B. All of the settings like encryption, key life etc are on both sides the same

What happens is that after a while there is no traffic possible from A to B en from B to A

When I look in to the Fortigates the tunnel is on both sides up while no traffic can be send. It's like the tunnel is not up but the Fortigate shows something different.... Anyway to get everything work again the only thing that I have do is to uncheck Auto-negotiate in P2 click OK than check Auto-negotiate again click OK and everything is working fine again for a while..

Someone any idea? It's driving me nuts!

6 REPLIES 6
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

two things comes to mind

1> is DPD being used if not enable it

2> set the phase2 KeepAlives on each phase-2 setting  

e.g

config vpn ipsec phase2-interface

edit <ph2-name>

set keepalive enable 

next 

end

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Deftone
New Contributor

Hi Ken,

Both DPD and keep alive are enabled on both ends.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Did you check from cli? That gui screenshot does not show anything related to the question. Go into the cli and issue 

show vpn ipsec phase2-interface | grep -f keepalive 

Anything showing up as "disable" toggle it to "enable"

For dpd look at "diag vpn ike gateway" and the dpd counters if any? for the name ike gateway? Also check via cli

show vpn ipsec phase1-interface | grep -f dpd

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Deftone
New Contributor

Hi Ken,

This is the output that I'm getting:

I did it at both ends... Site A

show vpn ipsec phase2-interface | grep -f keepalive Doesn't show me the phase 2 interface... Shows nothing! Keepalive is checked in the gui    diag vpn ike gateway show as output:   DPD sent/recv: 00028b6d/00000000   show vpn ipsec phase1-interface | grep -f dpd    set dpd on-idle <--- set dpd-retrycount 10 <--- set dpd-retryinterval 60 <---     The same at site B   show vpn ipsec phase2-interface | grep -f keepalive   Doesn't show me the phase 2 interface... Keepalive is chaecked in the gui   diag vpn ike gateway show as output:   DPD sent/recv: 0000094f/00000000   set dpd -on-idle <--set  dpd-retrycount 10 <--- set dpd-retryinterval 60 <---   Two things that are weird .. While keep alive is enabled in de gui under P2 is not showing up with show vpn ipsec phase2-interface | grep -f keepalive  Also received DPD packets at both ends are on/0000000. They sending but not receiving 
Deftone

As an addition to my reply... I’m not able to set keepalive through the cli on this P2 interface... It’s not available as command :thinking_face:
Deftone

I think it's not available as command because it's enabled by default when auto-negotiate is enabled in P2

When I disable auto-negotiate I can set the keep alive separately... So what is wise ... Disable autonegotiate en set keep alive separately or keep them both enabled?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors