Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kael_wang
New Contributor

IPsec MTU Fragment issue

Dear ALL,

My company move to new place recently, assume new office is site A, web server is site B, and everything are same except two new fd200d(copy setting from 140d) but now we cant access to our web server anymore.

I checked ipsec tunnel mtu is 1438, our desktop is 1500, and wireshark shows tcp fragment, 

I try to set desktop mtu to 1420 and it works.

Question is

1.Is there any different between 140d and 200d? (same setting but new mtu problem in new office)

2.My boss dont want to change desktop mtu and specify tunnel mtu, any other option?

Many thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

What version of FortiOS were/are they running? Earlier version for 5.4 had some fragmentation issues.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Don't change the   desktop(s)  MTU, just  uses the set tcp-mss in the firewall policies for the traffic from desktop 2 webserver(s)

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2013/05/tcp-mss-adjusment-fortigate-style.html

NOTE: that only helps on tcp-based traffic

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
kael_wang

TO Toshi Esumi : v5.2.13,build762 (GA)

Thank you for answer my question, I found out what is going on.....

I turned off "Avast Free Antivirus Web Shield" , with MTU 1500 on desktop and didn't change anything on 200d,

no more fragment in Wireshark, I can access web server successfully.

It really weird that avast worked just fine at old office, but now looks like avast will check MTU size???

OR it just 200d vpn ipsec tunnel setting is very different than 140d? 

This is tunnel setting in 200d

--------------------------

config vpn ipsec phase1-interface edit "SITE B" set interface "vlan103" set ike-version 2 set keylife 172800 set proposal aes256-sha256 set dhgrp 14 set remote-gw XXXXX set psksecret XXXXX next end

--------------------------

Thanks for reading this, please help if you have some kind of experience , thank you once again.

Toshi_Esumi

Have you tried 140D at the new place with the new circuit? The tunnel mtu size 1438 is simply decided by the MTU size on the outgoing interface (default 1500). So nothing would change even if you swap the current 200D to 140D. Nothing in IPSec(IKEv1) config can influence to the tunnel mtu size either. And I'm not the person who can tell why antivirus has anything to do with the symptom.

But if HTTP/HTTPS, TCP-MSS adjustment emnoc suggested is the most reliable way to set download packet size lower before leaving the web server. I didn't know it could be done at policy level until he mentioned. I always did it at  interfaces. In below discussion ashukla_FTNT explained how those tcp-mss-sender and -receiver parameters would work in TCP handshake.

https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=120033

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors