Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Rig
New Contributor

IPSmonitor Memory Usage

Hi

We are running a Fortigate 200D on version 5.2.6 - we had an issue a week ago where the Fortigate went into conserve mode with memory usage above 85%. The only way we could find to recover was rebooting the unit.

Currently our memory usage is at 56 % spiking now and then to 65% -- with this we are careful to make changes not to let memory spike again. Running the command "diagnose sys top-summary" we see that the IPSmonitor is the highest memory user (if I am reading the output correctly it appears as if there are 4 x "ipsmonitor" processes running).

We proceeded to disable Intrusion policies configured and we also under Global completely disabled the "Intrusion Protection" Security feature -- however we still have the 'ipsmonitor' running and using alot of memory.

How can I troubleshoot ipsmonitor service and disable it without breaking my fortigate? No IPS is required at this stage.

1 REPLY 1
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

The IPS process should not actively consume memory if not referenced in any policy.

What you could do - but requires offline time - is to rebuild the FGT filesystem from scratch:

- connect via serial line to FGT

- reboot, interrupt boot process by hitting a key

- reformat flash disk (this will erase firmware, config, signatures etc.)

- reload firmware via TFTP

- reload config

- update UTM signatures

I know it's vague but sometimes there are internal filesystem errors that prevent e.g. signature updates, or let the engines crash.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors