Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bzalewski
New Contributor

IPSec VPN not assigning IP after firmware updates

after numerous firware updates (from 5.0.X to 6.0.3) yesterday our on-demand IPSec VPN no longer functions - everything else updated without any issues. Given it was just the standard style VPN for remote forticlients we just deleted it and created a brand new one from the new VPN Wizard (using the forticlient template).

the forticlients connect just fine however they are not being assigned an IP from the range in the VPN config - in fact they are not getting an IP address at all (see screenshot).

the forticlient version is 6.0 (updated from 5.x weeks ago on the clients) and has been working fine until the router firmware update.

I'm not a true network admin and given the lack of settings to even play with in the VPN config (yes I converted to a custom tunnel and have all the options showing) and likewise in the forticlient application I'm not even sure where to start troubleshooting.

I have a vague recollection of having to create static routes back in the 5.0.X when first creating the VPN but from what I read that isn't necessary in newer FortiOS versions?

Any help at all would be great - in theory this should be the easiest VPN to create given we're just using server defaults and the latest forticlient.

1 REPLY 1
bzalewski
New Contributor

SOLVED: it was the client not the server

FortiClient 6.0.1.0099 for windows does not work with IPSec VPN on FortiOS 6.0.2 (at least on our FortiGate 60D)

FortiClient 5.6.6.1167 does work (had to use the internet archive to access download for the older FortiClient)

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors