Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
KVN001
New Contributor

IPSec Site-to-Site VPN between two carrier grade natted Sites possible?

Hi Community,

I have two sites which are both natted and I would need to establish a IPSec Site-to-Site VPN connection. Both Sites are equipped with FGT60s. Currently I'm not able to establish the connection, I would guess that the CGN is the reason for this - as a tunnel to a non-natted Site is working without any problem from both sites.

Has someone a clue for me how to achieve the connection or is this even possible? Not sure as NAT is still a thematic for me which causes my head to hurt.

Thanks a lot!

12 REPLIES 12
pminarik

To clarify: The VIP/port-forwarding would have to be configured on the device that currently holds your public IP. If that's not the FortiGate (it should not be the FortiGate in a CGNAT situation), then configuring VIP will not have any effect.

[ corrections always welcome ]
Muhammad_Haiqal

Hi @KVN001 ,

You can use Hub-and-spoke deployment.
However, 1 of the side must have public IP or accessible from outside.

Example:
HQ - Public IP. Can be access from outside.

Branch - Local IP(natted by ISP/router).

In this case, Branch will connect to the HQ public IP.
This concept same as SSLVPN. Branch will initiate the traffic. HQ will respond.

But if both side is local IP and not reachable to each other, it will not work.
Its not possible for any side to respond your traffic if its not reaching your device.

haiqal
KVN001

Hi!

thats not working in my case as both sites are behind NAT..

I will get in touch with my provider to check what additional costs will be made for an static ip address without natting.

Thanks to all for your feedback!!
BR

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors