Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BusinessUser
Contributor

IPSec Interfaces as SD-WAN members

SDwan members dont use normalized interfaces.

Instead you must  type interface name on the device or use metadata variable.

What is the difference between "normalized interfaces" and "metadata variable"?

"Normalized interfaces" reference different interfaces, so how is it different from "metadata variable"?

5 REPLIES 5
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
xshkurti
Staff
Staff

@BusinessUser 
Your question is related to sd-wan templates on FMG.
Go through documentation on implementing SD-WAN through FMG.

BusinessUser

Hi, any link to documentation?

I am studying SDWAN which is why I have these questions.

Shilpa1

Hello,

The main difference between normalized interfaces and metadata variables lies in how the members of the SD-WAN interface are determined.

Normalized interfaces are selected explicitly by specifying the interface names, whereas metadata variables provide a more dynamic and condition-based approach to determine the members.

Using metadata variables can be advantageous when you have dynamic or changing network conditions. By associating the metadata variables with specific conditions or performance metrics, you can automatically adjust the members of the SD-WAN interface based on real-time information. This flexibility allows for more intelligent and adaptive routing decisions within the SD-WAN environment.

For more details, please refer to the below document link :
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimanager/6.4.6/administration-guide/426671/sd-wan

Regards,
Shilpa C.P

BusinessUser

Can someone explain to me what is the difference between normalized interface and a "normal" interface?

Also why cant SDWAN use normalised interface?

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors