Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
razor
New Contributor III

IPS - quarantaine device/user if threat has been found

Hi Fortinet Tech's!

I have a question regarding IPS ( maybe the full security bundle instead ), if it's possible to quarantaine a user and/or device if there is any threat found between the endpoint / destination.

I know it's possible to de-block a user/device if an administrator quarantaine the user/device by himself. But is it possible to automate this process?

Thanks in advance!

Fortinet Network Security Professional (NSE4)

5 REPLIES 5
Ralph1973
Contributor

Hello,

Yes you can set the IPS sensor to Quarantine the ip, then it is, apart from the host being blocked, also quarantined for the time span you choose.

Regards,

Ralph

razor
New Contributor III

Ralph1973 wrote:

Hello,

Yes you can set the IPS sensor to Quarantine the ip, then it is, apart from the host being blocked, also quarantined for the time span you choose.

Regards,

Ralph

Where can I pick the option to block the Host OR the IP? Of does IPS block both at the same time?

Thanks for the quick answer though!

The situation what I would like to see: if a client visits a malware which is being blocked by IPS, the client will be blocked from the network/internet. At this moment the malicious website gets quarantained by the IPS engine.

Ralph1973

Hello,

Ah, now I understand. Well, I think this is only possible by using Webfilter. The client is not quarantined then, but rather he gets a block page.

However, you can also configure client reputation, see http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/1655/monitoring-your-network-using-client-reputation.pdf

razor
New Contributor III

Ralph1973 wrote:

Hello,

Ah, now I understand. Well, I think this is only possible by using Webfilter. The client is not quarantined then, but rather he gets a block page.

However, you can also configure client reputation, see http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/1655/monitoring-your-network-using-client-reputation.pdf

Thanks for the answer.

I know it's possible to block an endpoint completely, but maybe that's only possible while the endpoint has the FortiClient installed? Am I correct?

Ralph1973

Hello Razor, to be honest, I know there are some options, but never had this implemented. So I cannot give you a satisfying answer I'm afraid

Kind regards,

Ralph

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors