Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
L_FTNT
Staff
Staff

IMPORTANT! Uninstall Other Vendor' s Antivirus before installing FortiClient

I thought I need to mention this here to raise awareness so you won' t end up with endless headaches: Before installing Forticlient, you must uninstall your existing anti-virus applications. Here is a list of common antivirus programs that cannot co-exist with FortiClient: [ul]
  • Avast
  • AVG
  • BitDefender
  • CA
  • F-Secure
  • Kaspersky
  • McAfee
  • Panda
  • Symantec (Norton)
  • Trend Micro [/ul]
  • Ling Lu
    6 REPLIES 6
    L_FTNT
    Staff
    Staff

This is mentioned on their website (and also in User' s Guide): http://www.forticlient.com/premium.html
    Ling Lu
    ede_pfau
    SuperUser
    SuperUser

And this is the case EVEN if you don' t install the AV part of FortiClient! FC always installs a proxy for AV or web filter or whatever. The existing AV software notices that FC will install a filter driver " in front" of its own and will re-arrange the order. I suspect FC will do the same then...well, at least afterwards the proxy will stop working.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    rodeca
    New Contributor

You may add ESET Nod32 to that list . I tried installing it before and after Forticlient: both cases the web filter (at least) doesn' t work. But then: must we assume that any component of FClient requires that you install the AV component and no other AV? Ro
    bmann
    New Contributor

So, you have to uninstall another AV before FC install, even if only VPN is installed? But then you can install the another AV back, right? I run FC (VPN only) with avast free and it seems runnig.
    L_FTNT
    Staff
    Staff

If you only have FortiClient VPN installed, you may be able to use other AV - however, you need to test out yourself to make sure they are compatible. I' ve tried FortiClient Web Filtering feature with Symantec End Point Protection - they seems to be working fine. According to my experience, it' s definitely not going to work, if you run FortiClient AV along with other AV products or the FortiClient Web Filtering feature with other Web Filtering product. Regards, L.Clarke
    Ling Lu
    rodeca
    New Contributor

More about NOD32 with Forticlient: I installed only Forti Webfilter. After that, I installed nod32. Both can work fine if you uncheck " HTTP analysis" in nod32 (it is not enough to uncheck " Activate AV & antispyware internet traffic" ). HIH RØ (as I' m working with the Spanish version, may be " HTTP analysis" and " Activate AV..." are not the exact words in English)
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors