Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dipak_t
New Contributor

I'm facing packet drops when connecting to the Forticlient from a 5G network.

I have a fortigate with firmware version 7.2.4 and forticlient version 7.0.8. When I try to ping the fortigate local interface, I am ovserving packet drops in between. However, when we take a pcap on the fortigate, there are no packet drops observed. Can anyone suggest what to check on the Forticlient side?

4 REPLIES 4
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Can you please elaborate, the packet drops are in small percentage or the FGT is not responding at all?

If the packets are dropped from the underlying network the only way to identify packet loss is by comparing the Sequence number as shown below: (download the pcap file and open it with wireshark, this filter may help: ip.src== 10.0.0.2 && icmp)

secuence number.PNG

In case of missing packets you will see this sequence number skipping some values when checking from one packet to another

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
dipak_t

The packet drops are in small percentage. I am seeing the packet drops after 20-25 continuous pings.

ebilcari

In case you see the sequence number is skipping in FGT it means that the packets are not reaching FGT at all, so the service provider is responsible for this packet loss. You may trace different destination from both points to isolate the hops that are adding this packet loses. This tests should be done with IPs outside of VPN protected traffic to isolate this as packet loss and not a VPN issue or packet processing.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
mgoswami
Staff
Staff

Please try to take a pcap on the fortigate while trying to ping continuously from your PC  and see if you also observer the same packet drops on the fortigate when you see them on the PC.

If you see the packet drops on the fortigate at the same time, then it could be a config issue on Fortigate. Else if the Fortigate is sending out the packets and you are still seeing the packet drops in your PC, then you might need to also involve your ISP

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors