Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Skwerl
New Contributor

I just want a VPN client

Hi. My company has a Fortinet VPN appliance, and we were instructed to download Forticlient for access. I do NOT want the virus protection or parental control stuff. Is there a version of the software that does not even include them? Disabling them is not enough, because POP e-mail in Outlook is still broken even with both of those features disabled. The only way I have been able to restore POP functionality is to uninstall Forticlient. Thank you, Josh U
3 REPLIES 3
neonbit
Valued Contributor

Hi Josh, If you' re using SSL VPN then there is a lightweight standalone SSLVPN client available. You can get it from the same repository that you download your FortiGate firmware (it' s in the SSLVPN folder). I recommend using this as your VPN client as it has a much smaller footprint than FortiClient (and it also works on Linux! :) If you need to use the IPSEC client (ie: FortiClient) then you have the option of installing only the VPN components without the other modules (like AV, App control etc). From my understanding you can only do this custom install if you' ve purchased a FortiClient license (or have a friend that' s got the license send you the file ;) ). More details on this can be found in the FortiClient admin guide: http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/1020/forticlient-admin-50.pdf - I believe the section you want is on page 122-123. Below in red is a picture of the SSLVPN client, and in green the option to install the VPN only on the FortiClient.
neonbit
Valued Contributor

Also as an FYI the new FortiClient (currently in beta) is scheduled to have even more deployment options (subject to change).
Skwerl
New Contributor

Thanks a bunch, Neonbit. I' ll talk to our admin today and see if he can find the SSL VPN client for me. I appreciate the help! Thank you, Josh U
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors