Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
segmentation_fault
New Contributor III

How was a static IP assigned in the FortiGate 60e?

I've inherited a rack system with a Fortigate 60e that was setup by some other company. I am trying to understand how they created a static IP ( 192.168.1.51 ) for a raspberry pi video camera device sitting in the site. When I go to "Addresses" I see this for the pi:

pi.PNG

And under Addresses  I see this is where they assigned the static IP:

camera1.PNG

However, the confusing part is I don't see where Camera 1 points to pi003? If I edit the Camera 1 or pi003 I see no reference to each other? 

1 Solution
gfleming

Yes that will accomplish the same thing as the CLI instructions I posted. 

Cheers,
Graham

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gfleming
Staff
Staff

pi003 is a layer 2 MAC address and Camera 1 is a layer 3 IP address.

gfleming_0-1667000634211.png

Cheers,
Graham
segmentation_fault

What I am confused about is how is Camera 1 associated with pi003? See screenshots below for Camera 1 and pi003. I don't see any reference to each other in the settings:

camera1.PNGpi.PNG

gfleming

They don't really relate to each other. They are just logical objects representing two different things: one is an object referencing a Layer 3 IP address and the other is an object referencing a Layer 2 MAC address. In this case they are belonging to the same device but there is no real connection on the FGT.

Now, re-reading your original question I think maybe you are asking how to create a static IP or IP reservation for DHCP? Is this so? If the FortiGate is the DHCP server for the network you can add a reservation for the L2 MAC address: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.2.2/cli-reference/60620/config-system-dhcp-server (look at "config reserved-address" command) or under Interface settings in the GUI you can add DHCP reservations there too.

Cheers,
Graham
segmentation_fault

Correct. I am mainly interested to know how to assign static ips to some devices in the center. Do I go to DHCP Monitor -> Right mouse click on the device -> "Create DHCP reservation" -> "OK" ? I want the IP to be permanent even after a complete power outage/reboot of the system. See below:

ip.PNGip2.PNG

gfleming

Yes that will accomplish the same thing as the CLI instructions I posted. 

Cheers,
Graham
alif
Staff
Staff

If Camera1 or pi003 is already connected to the network, you can view the ARP table to verify if it is learned by Fortigate.

get system arp
Regards,
SFA
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors