Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

How to put two ports on the same network?

We just got a new FortiGate 50B. I' d like to connect it to: - our uplink (a router sitting on the local end of a T1) - our LAN (a switch with a bunch of PCs on it) - and our one public server. I' d like the public server to have a public IP, and the LAN to be a separate private net with NAT. Our T1 comes with a /28 so we have several usable public IPs. The T1 router has one IP, the FortiGate can have a second one (which it can also NAT all the LAN PCs to), and the public server can have a third. It' d be really nice not to have to use a separate switch to sit between the FortiGate, T1 router, and public server. What I need to do is configure the FortiGate such that both the uplink port and the public server port are treated as being on the same /28 subnet, with the FortiGate bridging between the two ports. I asked about this before we bought it, and was told we could do it. Now that I' m poring over the documentation and config interface, I don' t see quite how I' m supposed to...
20 REPLIES 20
Delta
New Contributor

So basically, you want to use 1 wan interface for outgoing users, and 1 wan interface for your public server and have them both be on the same subnet. The command for that is (from the CLI) config sys global (global)# set allow-interface-subnet-overlap enable This will allow you to assign both wan1 and wan2 ip' s in the same subnet, tho I think you might be better off using a vdom in this case. To enable VDOM admin, you need to enable it via CLI first: 1) Telnet/SSH/Console to the FortiGate 2) Issue those command in CLI to enable VDOM Admin: # config system global # set vdom-admin enable # end Create a new vdom (all your original rules will be on root) and call it what you want. This will add a new field to the network tab - add your ip addy to wan2 and make it a member of vdom2. Plug your server into wan2. Go into routes and create your default route to your isp for vdom2. Done.
Thought for the day: Advertising (n): the science of arresting the human intelligence for long enough to get money from it. -- Stephen Leacock.
Thought for the day: Advertising (n): the science of arresting the human intelligence for long enough to get money from it. -- Stephen Leacock.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors