Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
lshukla
New Contributor

How to get the logs for FortiMail?

I’m working on an integration for which I have the following queries, I would really appreciate if you can help me to answer these queries:

• I am looking for Fortimail email log details on the Fortinet Fortimail website, https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.2.0/rest-api-reference/768217/introduction but I could not locate them anywhere. Could you please confirm if Fortimail capture email log fields such as "from", "to", etc? If yes, then is there any specific web API using which we can fetch these details, also it would be nice if you can guide us on how to setup this API.
lshukla
lshukla
6 REPLIES 6
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Go to menu Monitor > Logs.

You can then access to detailed session logs by clicking the "Session ID" of the required log entry.

In case you don't find menu "Monitor" then you may need to enable advanced mode from the top right menu.

AEK
AEK
lshukla
New Contributor

Is there any web portal or toll available to check logs? Can you provide the reference for the same?

lshukla
lshukla
Debbie_FTNT

Hey Ishukla,

can you please clarify what you mean with 'web portal' or 'tool' if the Monitor > Log section in FortiMail admin GUI is insufficient? Are you looking for reporting options?

In that case, Fortinet offers the FortiAnalyzer solution; nearly all Fortinet products can send their logs there, and FortiAnalyzer can store and display logs, offers a range of pre-defined reports and tools to create additional ones as needed.

If you're instead looking for FortiMail to send logs to a third-party tool, FortiMail can send its logs out via syslog.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
lshukla

I captured this log screenshot from the documentation/article available on https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.4.1/administration-guide/490494/viewing-log-messages#...
I'm facing a challenge in finding the correct API and locating the access point to retrieve the logs. I’m in need of accessing/utilising their respective APIs.
I am not sure how can I get the Fortimail API and logs. Is it the FortiAnalyzer where I can get the logs and API reference?

lshukla
lshukla
Debbie_FTNT

Hey Ishukla,

I'm still a bit unclear on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you want to download/fetch the logs from FortiMail via API?

FortiAnalyzer would be an option if you're looking for a logging/reporting solution; it can receive logs from FortiMail (sent via syslog typically), display them and run reports on the logs. You can also download logs from FortiAnalyzer (after FortiMail has sent them there), and automate log file backup to FTP servers.

As an alternative, you can have FortiMail send the logs (via syslog) to any server you specify. You can also download log files from GUI by going to Monitor > Log, selecting the appropriate log type (like System Event) and then clicking on 'List'; this gives you the actual log files to download.

image.png

The general FortiMail API: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.2.0/rest-api-reference/768217/introduction

You might find additional FortiMail API documentation here: fndn.fortinet.net (Fortinet Developer Network); this does require sponsors if you don't have access already. Your local Fortinet Sales representative should be able to help in that regard.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
lshukla
New Contributor

I’m working on an integration for which I have the following queries, I would really appreciate if you can help me to answer these queries:

• I am looking for Fortimail email details on the Fortinet Fortimail website, https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.2.0/rest-api-reference/768217/introduction but I could not locate them anywhere. Could you please confirm if Fortimail capture email log fields such as "from", "to", etc? If yes, then is there any specific web API using which we can fetch these details, also it would be nice if you can guide us on how to setup this API
  • Also is it necessary to create a free account to access this information if they are present?
lshukla
lshukla
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors