Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
IronMan
New Contributor III

How to get email alerts of for lost internet connectivity Fortigate

I have a FortiGate, I have 2 interfaces that connect to 2 different ISP/modems. When the primary ISP is down, the other is automatically used.

I have set up Email Alerts through Stitch using the trigger "Interface status changed"

I am able to receive email alerts if the interface is down (example: powering off the modem). But if there is no internet connection (example: due to ISP maintenance) I don't get any alert, because the interface is still up.

How do I receive alerts on lost connectivity for an interface?

1 Solution
asengar

Hi @IronMan 

Thanks for posting your query.

You wanted that alert mail should trigger when the link goes down but interface status is up.

So you can configure the link-monitor for the interface and when the target server is not reachable it will detect the WAN link as dead and as per the automation stitch the mail will be triggered.

Kindly refer the below document

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Bring-other-interfaces-down-when-link-moni...

@bhishek

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
akushwaha
Staff
Staff

Hi@IronMan ,

Please refer to the below article and check if it this is what you're asking:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-E-mail-alert-when-WAN-interface-went-down/...

Best Regards,
Abhimanyu

IronMan
New Contributor III

No. That is something I already have. I already have an alert to notify me when an interface is down. I need an alert when there is no internet connection. An interface can be up even when there is no internet connection.

asengar

Hi @IronMan 

Thanks for posting your query.

You wanted that alert mail should trigger when the link goes down but interface status is up.

So you can configure the link-monitor for the interface and when the target server is not reachable it will detect the WAN link as dead and as per the automation stitch the mail will be triggered.

Kindly refer the below document

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Bring-other-interfaces-down-when-link-moni...

@bhishek
IronMan
New Contributor III

I've almost got it to work. The link-monitor part is done.

Now I'm trying to set the trigger to filter between link alive and link dead but the filter message is too long. The system allows only 63 characters but the actual message is 86 characters.

msg="Link monitor state is changed from 0 to 1, please check if this triggers HA failover.":

Any way to bypasss the character limit or other workaround?

IronMan
New Contributor III

Found a workaround.

For alert on link failure use the trigger "Link Monitor Status Warning"

For alert on link restored use the trigger "Link Monitor Status"

aiwapro

This works:  

Failure - 

Link Monitor Status Warning

Link Monitor changed state from alive to dead, protocol: ping.

Restored status - 

Link Monitor Status

Link Monitor changed state from dead to alive, protocol: ping.

Nchandan
Staff
Staff
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors