Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mhaneke
New Contributor III

How to create a second FortiToken and a backup. How to use 3rd party OTP for FortiCloud login?

Hello,

I have several questions on FortiToken (e.g. to Login to FortiCloud:

1. How to create a second FortiToken on another smartphone?

2. How to find and backup the recovery phrase / masterkey for an already created Token?

3. How to use 3rd party OTP for FortiCloud login?

best regards

Martin Haneke

best regards
Martin
best regardsMartin
1 Solution
pminarik
Staff
Staff

Hi Martin,

1) A single FortiToken mobile activation code can only be activated once, hence the token can only be used on one phone at a time. This is an intentional security feature.

2) The seeds are stored in config backup (not visible live via GUI/CLI, you need to open up a config backup to see it) in "config user fortitoken". However, this value is proprietary and encrypted, so it is not possible to use it to generate your own backup. (the only intended use is config recovery/migration)

3) Last time I checked, FortiCloud natively uses FortiToken only. Third party token usage might be possible in an indirect way if the authentication is federated to another SAML IdP. (I believe this was a limited beta feature at some point in the past; I do not know the current state.)

[ corrections always welcome ]

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Martin,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
pminarik
Staff
Staff

Hi Martin,

1) A single FortiToken mobile activation code can only be activated once, hence the token can only be used on one phone at a time. This is an intentional security feature.

2) The seeds are stored in config backup (not visible live via GUI/CLI, you need to open up a config backup to see it) in "config user fortitoken". However, this value is proprietary and encrypted, so it is not possible to use it to generate your own backup. (the only intended use is config recovery/migration)

3) Last time I checked, FortiCloud natively uses FortiToken only. Third party token usage might be possible in an indirect way if the authentication is federated to another SAML IdP. (I believe this was a limited beta feature at some point in the past; I do not know the current state.)

[ corrections always welcome ]
mhaneke
New Contributor III

Hello @pminarik and @Anthony_E ,

thank You for the answer. This covers with what a FortiAuthenticator and #Fortitoken -expericenced collegue, which I had the luck to meet today, said.

best regards

Martin Haneke

best regards
Martin
best regardsMartin
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors