Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Benno
New Contributor

How to block email with hoax image

We are facing spam emails with only one image in the body.

I've tryed to use the Security-->Other-->File Signiture, uploading the sha1 of the image ... but sadly this is used only in antivirus profile ... and from the documentation:

"Because not all attachment files are virus carriers, FortiMail file signature check only supports the following file types: .7z, .bat, .cab, .dll, .doc, .docm, .dotm, exe, .gz, .hta, .inf, .jar, .js, .jse, .msi, .msp, pdf, .pif, .potm, .ppam, .ppsm, .ppt, .pptm, .pptx, .reg, .scr, .sldm, .swf, .tar, .vbe, .ws, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh, .xlam, .xls, .xlsm, .xlsx, .xltm, .Z, and .zip files."

No image supported and no way to add more file types :(

Any ideas?

I'm using a 300D with v6.0,build126,181026 (6.0.3 GA)

THX,

Luca

1 Solution
Carl_Windsor_FTNT

Feel free to DM me for my email so you can send me a sample and it can be added to our DB however try upgrading to 6.0.5 as there are enhancements to the Image Spam detection for automated detection for such spams.

Dr. Carl Windsor Field Chief Technology Officer Fortinet

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Carl_Windsor_FTNT

Feel free to DM me for my email so you can send me a sample and it can be added to our DB however try upgrading to 6.0.5 as there are enhancements to the Image Spam detection for automated detection for such spams.

Benno

Thx Carl!

I've PMed you a sample.

I'm going to ask a maintance window to upgrade.

Luca

Benno
New Contributor

Carl ... I've read both 6.0.4 and 6.0.5 release notes but found nothing regarding "Image Spam detection" ... can you point me to some doc please?

thx!

Luca

Carl_Windsor_FTNT

This was a change to an internals of the Image Spam detection engine but there are no customer facing changes so it is not documented in the release notes, however the modifications made may help with the detection of such image spams. 

d0minique

Same here.

There was a wave of "image-based" hoax with a body composed only by an image HTML tag.

Is the hash recognition/pattern matching the only way to block this kind of content?

Benno

If you have HTML tag you can try some matching pattern via regexp in dictionary profile

luca

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors