Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rohittarang
New Contributor

How to avoid website ratting error on fortiguard ?

What is website ##rating error in Forti guard ? What is the root cause of rating error ? How I can avoid this rating error permanently

6 REPLIES 6
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

This can happen for example when FortiGuard can't be reached (I don't know other reasons).

If you want to allow people access the site(s) when such error occurs, you need to enable "Allow Websites When a Rating Error Occurs", in Security Profiles -> Web Filter (your Web Filter Profile).

AEK
AEK
rohittarang

But same FortiGate devices, in 1 FortiGate device we can access all website without this web filter. In another FortiGate device, gives me rating error. Both having same configurations. That's why, I need more information about it. How FortiGate will give ratings to any website in backend. If there are websites not to search, like not harmful but should not open due to rating errors, then I want that websites list so I can educate my Non-Technical Users.

rosatechnocrat

Check connectivity from Fortigate to Fortiguard network. Rating is provided by Fortiguard and if Fortiguard is not reachable from Fortiagte, Fortigate will not be able to retrieve the rating of website and will block. 

Please verify connectivity. For more details on error you may refer below video. 

https://youtu.be/-UvrSQ3owVI?si=EbWqFKsM6BZTYjyD

Rosa Technocrat -- Also on YouTube---Please do Subscribe
rohittarang

Ok. Understood. is there any mechanism, how FortiGate retrieve the rating of website ?

rosatechnocrat

Fortigate sends the domain name of the website to Fortiguard and gets the result. You can manually check the rating/category of a website by visiting the below link and input domain name 

https://www.fortiguard.com/webfilter

hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @rohittarang,

In addition to previous suggestions, make sure to use the most reliable DNS servers. If DNS doesn't work, FortiGate won't be able to reach FortiGuard servers. 

Regards, 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors