Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FortiNet_Newb
Contributor

How to Properly Sanitize/Securely Wipe a FortiGate Firewall Before Disposal

We have a pair of older FortiGate 200B firewalls that have been out of use for awhile and collecting dust as they are no longer supported by FortiNet.  Before I get rid of them, what is the process to wipe/erase/sanitize these firewalls to ensure no one can access our data/configs from these devices once they leave our possession?  

Here is what I have done so far to both:

Performed a "exec factoryreset" from the cli.

Formatted the boot device from the cli configuration menu

Loaded new firmware images via TFTP

One of the units had a solid state drive that was used to store logs, I removed the drive inserted into a desktop and wiped it using our desktop sanitizing tools.

Anything else I should do?

Thanks!

1 Solution
gfleming
Staff
Staff

You are all good here. For future reference you can issue the command "execute erase-disk" to securely wipe the log disk.

Cheers,
Graham

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
adambomb1219
Contributor III

That sounds correct to me.  Are you in an industry that has regulations on how data must be handled/destroyed?

FortiNet_Newb

Thanks.  Just want to follow best practices as there is a high probability that these units will end up in someone elses hands.

gfleming
Staff
Staff

You are all good here. For future reference you can issue the command "execute erase-disk" to securely wipe the log disk.

Cheers,
Graham
FortiNet_Newb

Thanks.  Good to know about the "execute erase-disk" command, just wasn't sure if it performed a "secure" wipe (using secure erase or some proprietary disk tool), so I wanted to be sure.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors