Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
feniss
New Contributor

How fast could Fortigate 80F IPSec VPN be?

I was thinking of buying a Fortigate 80F firewall, and setting up an IPSec tunnel.

Now, I’ve read some posts where some people were saying they got 50Mbps through an IPSec tunnel with the 80F.

The data sheet says it can push 6.5Gbps at 512 bytes. I’ll probably be pushing 1500 bytes though.

Anyhow, what speeds can I expect to push with a Fortigate 80F through an IPSec site-to-site VPN? I’d be hoping for Gigabit speeds.

omeglexender
2 REPLIES 2
vponmuniraj
Staff
Staff

Hi,

The throughput depends on a lot of factors (protocol / application being used & the number of streams / ISP provided bandwidth / latency between the peers). The datasheet numbers can be taken as reference. 

You may run iperf and if you feel that the speed is no upto your expectations please reach out to TAC / via community. 

Regards,

Vignesh
jintrah_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Feniss,

I guess you could expect similar speeds with 1500 bytes too, as you have noticed that there is no difference in firewall throughput using 512 bytes or 1518 bytes udp packets. But you should also note the factors what vponmuniraj mentioned which can affect realtime performance compared to a test environment that might have used an optimal network setup and bare minimum configs/features enabled in the config other than those required for vpn.

Best regards,

Jin

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors