Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Michael_McDonnell
New Contributor III

How does FortiSMS Licensing?

In order to use SMS two-factor authentication, you have to have a messaging services. The default is "FortiGuard Messaging Service" which is sold as "FortiSMS" which is a license for "100 messages".

How does this license work? If I buy a certificate for 100 SMS messages and then I logon 100 times, do I need to buy a new certificate/license for 100 more messages?

or Is this 100 message per month? per week? per day? 

2 REPLIES 2
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

license has some expiration date but it's some year or so, therefore it's basically valid till you use (send) all of those SMS messages (assume you send more than 100 SMS a year).

Kind regards, Tomas

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

Michael_McDonnell

I received an answer directly from FortiNet as well. The SMS message are "one time use only". That is, if you buy a FortiSMS 100-message certificate/license. Each logon that uses SMS will use up 1 message. After 100 logons, you would need to buy a new certificate/license.

The advantage of the FortiGuard Messaging Service is that it is global. No need to configure dozens of SMS gateways manually.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors