Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kubiklefree
New Contributor

How do you find/match the subject of a PKI user? -- SSL VPN with Certificate configuration

Hello,

I am having an issue finding and then matching the "subject" of the user certificate for the users I created in this walk-through. From the directions, I get the feeling they expect you to know this, which I don't. Hopefully this makes sense and someone can help me out.

Currently, I am unable to connect to my VPN and feel this might be the issue.

Thank you for your help!

4 REPLIES 4
Jeff_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Try to enable debug CLI: dia debug app fnbam -1, it will show up PKI user/Certificate match.

FGT will check certificate send from browser with PKI user match, in this case, "Set subject User01". The certificate import to your browser (IE/Firefox) should have Subject like "C = US, ST = California, L = Sunnyvale, O = Fortinet, OU = FortiGate, CN = User01, emailAddress = support@fortinet.com".

Thanks.

kubiklefree

Thank you for the tip. I typed in the command, but there was no output. I might not completely understand what you are asking me to do. Am I suppose to look somewhere else for the output?

Jeff_FTNT

add CLI: dia debug enable,  if you want see debug on "CLI console". You may use small box without Console. Thanks.

vinisantos_FTNT

I know this in an older post but I thought it'd be good trying to provide further clarification. As mentioned by Jeff, you are able to see the contents of the certificate you're using by opening it in a Windows machine for example.

Open your certificate, go to the tab "Details" and look for the field "Subject". What you're looking for - and what should match in your FortiGate's configuration - is whatever is after "CN" or CommonName, and only that.

In my case, the subject field for my PKI user is "vinisantos".

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors