Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
hboswell
New Contributor

How do I turn off web filtering?

Actually, I don't understand why we have webfiltering - we aren't subscribed to it, and under the Web Filter Profile, Enable Web Site Filter is not checked.  But we are being filtered, and the filter is too aggressive - it blocks sites that are quite legitimate.  So, how do I disable this?

Thanks,

Harry

2 Solutions
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm a  bit confused about your screenshot showing the replacement message. It says "FortiClient".

Do you get blocked webpages on any PC on your network, with a replacement message from your Fortigate?

And yes, I would reboot the FGT. This is the tinyest model, and it would not hurt to do so.

And while you're at it, upgrade to the latest stable patch in FortiOS v5.0, which should be 5.0.9 b292 now. I see you haven't touched the firmware since delivery.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
vmartin_FTNT
Staff
Staff

It looks to me like it is FortiClient that is blocking you web pages, not the FortiGate, since blocked messages from a FortiGate typically say FortiGuard Web Filtering at the top (as seen below). If this is the case, you'll need to go into FortiClient to turn off web filtering.

Technical Writer, FortiOS

Let me know if there's anything you want to see added to the FortiGate Cookbook.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
hboswell
New Contributor

Yep - when I look at that policy now, Web Filter is unchecked. 

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm a  bit confused about your screenshot showing the replacement message. It says "FortiClient".

Do you get blocked webpages on any PC on your network, with a replacement message from your Fortigate?

And yes, I would reboot the FGT. This is the tinyest model, and it would not hurt to do so.

And while you're at it, upgrade to the latest stable patch in FortiOS v5.0, which should be 5.0.9 b292 now. I see you haven't touched the firmware since delivery.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
vmartin_FTNT
Staff
Staff

It looks to me like it is FortiClient that is blocking you web pages, not the FortiGate, since blocked messages from a FortiGate typically say FortiGuard Web Filtering at the top (as seen below). If this is the case, you'll need to go into FortiClient to turn off web filtering.

Let me know if there's anything you want to see added to the FortiGate Cookbook.

hboswell
New Contributor

Would Forticlient be active when it isn't running? I'm not connecting via VPN, just on the network.

Harry

hboswell
New Contributor

Well, it was Forticlient - the Parental Control was enabled.  I had no idea that was active all the time.  Thanks for the solution!

Harry

vmartin_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Edit: We were posting at the same time, apparently. Anyway, I'm glad I could help!

For anyone else who is interested, to turn off web filtering, open FortiClient, then select the lock at the bottom left corner. You can then go into Web Security and disable web filtering. 

CEonFN

Hi,

I'm trying to access industry websites for real estate companies and they're being blocked by Forticlient. I've just installed it and am using my personal computer.

I've disabled web security but it is still blocking me from accessing these websites. What's happening and how do I stop this?

Thanks, C

Delaware
New Contributor

I want all WEB FILTERS TURNED OFF
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors