Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
adonisd
New Contributor

How do I set a gateway on my WAN if it is set to Manual?

Hello,

What I would like to know is how do I set up a default gateway for a WAN that is manual (Static IP?)

I know you can go to route --> Static route and just add that as a default route for everything outgoing.

However is there a way to set it as let's say PPPOE ? Where we can assign a default gateway?

1 Solution
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Nobody is reading the original post...he's got a STATIC WAN IP. Not PPPoE or DHCP.

Answer: in this case you specify a STATIC route to "0.0.0.0/0" via your ISP's gateway address explicitly. This address should be known to you. There is no way to query it - only DHCP and PPPoE protocols do that and are supported in FortiOS.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
4 REPLIES 4
vjoshi_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello,

What kind of WAN connection you have?

- Do you have the details of the default gateway from the ISP or it is dynamic?

May I know the actual requirement?

gschmitt
Valued Contributor

adonisd wrote:

Where we can assign a default gateway?

The term "default gateway" is just a nice way of saying a "0.0.0.0/0 route in case everything else fails"

A static route pointing to your Gateway in wan1 is the same as the automatically added route for PPPoE

The issue with PPPoE is just that in many countries those connections have dynamic IPs hence a static route would not work

vjoshi_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Also, there is an option under interface settings to fetch the default gateway dynamically:

config system interface

edit <interface_name>

set mode pppoe

set defaultgw enable     ----->>>> this command does the trick

end

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Nobody is reading the original post...he's got a STATIC WAN IP. Not PPPoE or DHCP.

Answer: in this case you specify a STATIC route to "0.0.0.0/0" via your ISP's gateway address explicitly. This address should be known to you. There is no way to query it - only DHCP and PPPoE protocols do that and are supported in FortiOS.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors