Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
maziar_ravanbakhsh
New Contributor

How can I block FTP for uploading?

Hi,

Recently I have run a FortiGate firewall  between clents and servers. Now I want to publish FTP  in a Read-Only way for a specific subnet. How can I mange this with FortiGate. It is appreciated in advance if anybody shed a light on.

Best regards.

3 REPLIES 3
Nicholas_Doropoulos
Contributor

Hi Maziar,

Could you please clarify your request a little bit? Do you mean that you would like to block FTP uploads for a specific subnet? Or do you have an internal FTP server that you would like that subnet to be able to upload files to?

Again, some more information would help a lot.

Many thanks.

NSE5, CCSE, CCNA R&S, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, MTA Security, ITIL v3

NSE5, CCSE, CCNA R&S, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, MTA Security, ITIL v3
sw2090
Honored Contributor

I don't think this is possible with any firewall since firewalls can only controll traffic from source to dest or vice versa.

For functioning FTP you have to allow traffic in bothg direction.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
boneyard
Valued Contributor

on itself an interesting request, though i don't believe this is possible with normal configuration. which is a little weird because the FortiGate should have the knowledge to make this decision. the application control feature can do this within certain cloud applications, so why not for something "simple" as FTP.

i would say you have two options:

1 - do something on the FTP server side. perhaps you can apply IP filters there in combination with commands.

2 - do something with customer IPS signatures, which would block the PUT request. an example can be found here, but it isn't an easy solution: http://alstechcorner.blogspot.com/2013/10/how-to-block-anonymous-ftp-put-on.html

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors