Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Krzysiek23
New Contributor

Help — new website blocked

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of creating a new website for my agency. I'm using Framer to do that, the website is hosted on porkbun. I've just sent the draft to my friend to get his feedback and he's told me, that he cannot access the website, because it is being blocked by Fortinet. 

The whole message is as follows:
"the domain is in the category Newly Observed Domain. Your FortiGate Administrator has blocked this category". And then another pop-up, saying: "You have tried to access a web page that is in violation of your Internet usage policy".

Since we are just building a marketing agency web page, it's important to me as a business owner that all of my potential clients can access our website. Please help me to fix this issue.

7 REPLIES 7
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

This is expected behavior as the URL is new. For now, can you create a static URL filter to allow the website. Ref:https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Using-a-static-URL-filter-feature-to-allow...

More details on Newly Observed domain error:

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Troubleshooting-Tip-Newly-Observed-Domain-Webfilter-cate...

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

ashleyray
New Contributor

Fortinet, like other cybersecurity solutions, flags and temporarily restricts access to recently registered domains because cybercriminals often create new domains for malicious activities. While this helps in enhancing security, it sometimes leads to false positives, such as your situation.

Here's what you can do to remedy the situation:

1. Wait it Out:

• If your domain is new, after some time, it will no longer be considered a "Newly Observed Domain." As the domain ages, the NOD classification should automatically drop.
  2. Request a Category Change:

• Fortinet allows users to submit URLs for review to update/change their categorization. You can submit your domain for re-categorization through the Fortinet Web Filtering Service: Fortiguard Web Filtering Recategorization Request.
    • Make sure you provide an explanation that your domain is a legitimate business website, and request its removal from the NOD category.
spoojary
Staff
Staff
JohnKuhn
New Contributor

Thank you for answering, I appreciate it.

Can you also help me? I want to hire paper writer because I am not so good at writing an essay assignment. Can you help me in searching for a site online through which I can hire an essay writer? Thanks.
Can you also help me? I want to hire paper writer because I am not so good at writing an essay assignment. Can you help me in searching for a site online through which I can hire an essay writer? Thanks.
vbandha
Staff
Staff

Hello @JohnKuhn 

Make sure the action is set to monitor, instead of allow in webfilter for the category. You can also create a new custom category and assign the website to that.
Technical Tip: Web rating override does not work a... - Fortinet Community

Regards,

Varun

mle2802
Staff
Staff

Hi @Krzysiek23,
We can override the rating by referring to this document "https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-configure-web-rating-override-for-s...

Regards,
Minh

lastreaction122
New Contributor II

@Krzysiek23 wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of creating a new website for my agency. I'm using Framer to do that, the website is hosted on porkbun. I've just sent the draft to my friend to get his feedback and he's told me, that he cannot access the website, because it is being blocked by Fortinet. 

The whole message is as follows:
"the domain is in the category Newly Observed Domain. Your FortiGate Administrator has blocked this category". And then another pop-up, saying: "You have tried to access a web page that is in violation of your Internet usage policy".

Since we are just building a marketing seo agency web page, it's important to me as a business owner that all of my potential clients can access our website. Please help me to fix this issue.

Fortinet, like many cybersecurity solutions, implements measures to flag and temporarily restrict access to newly registered domains due to the potential for cybercriminals to exploit them for malicious activities. While this approach enhances security, it can sometimes result in false positives, as in your case.

you can take proactive steps by requesting a category change for your domain. Fortinet provides users with the option to submit URLs for review to update or change their categorization. You can initiate this process through the Fortinet Web Filtering Service, specifically the Fortiguard Web Filtering Recategorization Request.

When submitting your request, ensure to provide a clear explanation that your domain is associated with a legitimate business website. Emphasize its authenticity and the need for its removal from the "Newly Observed Domain" category.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors