Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
hervaltelecom
New Contributor III

Help! How to remove inactive firmware?

Good morning!

Is there a way to remove a specific inactive firmware? Note in image, the delete button is grayed! Fortigate keeps alternating between this two firmware causing problems.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

oops I posted this in the wrong thread;

You have a  few options , but the best is to execute a  disk reformat & go from that point. Just remember if you have a deleted image(s) you will suffer upon a reboot or failure of the primary partition.   e.g   execute  erase-disk < disk-name type >   Just make sure you review all diskimages from the cmd line b4 you do anything.      diag  hardware  deviceinfo  disk  diag sys flash list     And then re-upload the image you want to one partition. You have no real means for deletion of the inactivce partition? And why would you want to?   ( I take no  responsibility for this )   You 2nd option is to mkdir a mount point using fnsysctl and  mount the 2ndboot partion and delete the  image     e.g   fnsysctl mkdir /IDIDNTTELLYOUTHIS   :)   fnsysctl mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb<1|2|3>  /IDIDNTTELLYOUTHIS   fnsysctl rm -fr /IDIDNTTELLYOUTHIS/*     fnsysctl unmount /IDIDNTTELLYOUTHIS   YMMV

:)

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
hervaltelecom
New Contributor III

Thank you for the reply, i will first try this on laboratory conditions first. The problem is that recently all my Fortigates, more than 100, where updated to version 5. But on version 5 there is no traffic shape, essential to my operations. When we downgraded back to version 4 the old, unusable firmware was kept as inactive and a few time, after a reboot do to energy failure, mostly, the Fortigate would reverted back to version 5. 

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

What do you mean revert back? Unless that image is "marked" for bootup it should never be active or activated.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors