Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jack22
New Contributor

Help! FortiClient VPN stuck on "Status: Connecting"

Hi, I downloaded and installed latest version of FortiClient VPN from https://www.fortinet.com/support/product-downloads#vpn. The shown installed version is 7.2.2.

I entered the server's SSL VPN settings, but when I click the button "SAML Login", nothing happens.

The window shows the label: "Status: Connecting" and keeps waiting forever.

Any idea about something I'm missing?

8 REPLIES 8
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

Please try this:

• Check remote FGT VPN logs
  • Try telnet VPN_Server_IP:Port to see if it is reachable, or just https://VPN_Server_IP:Port on your browser
  • Try older client version 7.2.1 or even 7.0.x
AEK
AEK
Jack22
New Contributor

Sorry, what do you mean by remote logs exactly? I'm connecting to a 3rd party vpn, I don't have access to their systems.

Regarding the test on my browser, the server is reachable but I get redirected to a web page where it reads: "The SSL-VPN portal has been enabled for tunnel mode use only. FortiClient is required to connect"

Many thanks

AEK

So your VPN server is reachable.

Now since you don't have access to VPN server, you have to contact its administrator so he checks from his side if there are relevant logs.

You can also try with older FortiClient VPN version (7.2.1 or even 7.0.x), just in case.

AEK
AEK
Jack22
New Contributor

The administrators are by another entity, they will never share their logs.

By the way, what's wrong with newest FortiClient VPN version? Are there any known issues with authentication?

hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Jack22,

Which Operating System are you using? 

Regards, 

Jack22
New Contributor

Windows 10.

Thank you

hbac

@Jack22

Does it work if you don't use saml and use regular username/password? Is SAML authentication working for other users? 

Regards, 

Jack22
New Contributor

If I try to login with username/password, then I get the following error:

Screen2024-01-05 152427.png

Other users are using an old FortiClient version (namely 7.0.1.0083) with SAML authentication, apparently with no issues.

Regards

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors