Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jimsokol
New Contributor III

Hardware upgrade: HA active-active with multiple VDOM

We will be replacing two FGT 200B's running HA active-active with multiple VDOMs with two 500D's. Normally we would load the config onto one of the new units (after making the appropriate port and hardware id changes of course) and mostly follow the procedure for converting a standalone unit to a cluster.  Problem is that the documentation states that you must be operating in single VDOM mode. If that is really the case, how do we get there, as it is not possible for us to go to single VDOM just for the upgrade, plus this is a hardware refresh and we are not prepared to do infrastructure changes at the same time. In addition, if things go poorly, it would be difficult to go back.

3 REPLIES 3
iJake
Contributor

The procedure would be to migrate your current config to one of the new FortiGates as a standalone, VDOMs and all. Configure it for HA and set the priority high so that it becomes the primary unit. You then add the second FortiGate, which needs to be set as a single VDOM. It will then mirror the config from the primary.

So, only the secondary needs to be on a single VDOM before getting added to the cluster. 

Hope this helps.

-Jake

...... -Jake
jimsokol
New Contributor III

Yes, that does help, as I was reading too much into the statement about single VDOM. I'll let you know how it goes, as I'll be preconfiguring all of these next week to send to another location.

...jim

jimsokol
New Contributor III

HA migration went fine. Thanks for the help.

...jim

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors