Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
andrewbailey
Contributor II

Hardware Acceleration- PPPOE seesion on Fortigate or on CPE router?

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I have a 60E on a VDSL WAN service.

My question:- for overall performance is it better (however that's defined!) to let the CPE router manage the PPPOE session or let the Fortigate do it?

My understanding is that managing PPPOE on the Fortigate disables hardware acceleration so I was thinking it may be better to let the CPE router handle the PPPOE session and just let the Fortigate route towards the CPE router?

Is there any suggestions or guidance on his is best managed?

Kind Regards,

Andy.

1 Solution
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Using PPPoE on an interface does not disable HW acceleration.

It doesn't use it either.

And that's the problem if your DSL line exceeds 100 Mbps. High througput can potentially cause high CPU load, or conversely, throughput can be limited by CPU performance. On these forums, a user reported a maximum of 130 Mbps on a desktop model (can't remember exactly, please do a search).

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
1 REPLY 1
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Using PPPoE on an interface does not disable HW acceleration.

It doesn't use it either.

And that's the problem if your DSL line exceeds 100 Mbps. High througput can potentially cause high CPU load, or conversely, throughput can be limited by CPU performance. On these forums, a user reported a maximum of 130 Mbps on a desktop model (can't remember exactly, please do a search).

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors