Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

HOW TO PROTECT SMTP PORT-25

Hi All, We are using FORTIGATE FIREWALL - 100 A. I would like to restrict the SMTP PORT NO.25 (Used for outgoing mails under the domain) only for the outgoing mail server address provided by ISP and need to make sure that nobody else using the port other than the email clients under the domain. Is there any LOG exists to find out the details of the USED PORTS. Also kindly advise how to MONITOR all the PORTS/OPEN PORTS used in the network WITH FORTIGATE-100A. Await all of your valuable advise on the above issue. Regards, Eclipse
2 REPLIES 2
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

I would like to restrict the SMTP PORT NO.25 (Used for outgoing mails under the domain) only for the outgoing mail server address provided by ISP and need to make sure that nobody else using the port other than the email clients under the domain.
ok, just define an internal->external firewall policy on top with source your mail server and destination all; If you don´t have restrictions above which outgoing ports your users are able to to traffic for (a questionable setup), i mean, if you don' t have these type of restrictions, inmediately below define another policy denying all outgoing smtp traffic. Then you can define your another internet policies for yous internal users.
Is there any LOG exists to find out the details of the USED PORTS.
you could define a firewall policy at bottom denying everything and logging everything.
Also kindly advise how to MONITOR all the PORTS/OPEN PORTS used in the network WITH FORTIGATE-100A.
use a network scanner; nmap from insecure.org is rock solid.
Eclipse
strange name regards

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
TopJimmy
New Contributor

Depending on your level of experience, I' d follow up Abel and suggest giving FirePlotter a try for monitoring traffic/ports. It' s inexpensive, easy to use and doesn' t require anything other than a Windows host.
-TJ
-TJ
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors