Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
journeyman
Contributor

HA - same model - does hardware generation matter?

Does it matter if two units in a HA cluster are different generations of the same model? Say 60C generation 3 and 4.

The Handbook doesn't mention it:

All cluster units must be the same FortiGate model with the same FortiOS firmware build installed. All cluster units must also have the same hardware configuration (for example, the same AMC modules installed in the same slots, the same number of hard disks and so on) and be running in the same operating mode (NAT/Route mode or Transparent mode).
Each generation appears to have different size memory - does that count as a different hardware configuration or it simply doesn't matter at all?

I prefer to ask _before_ I get it wrong...

1 Solution
mhe
Contributor II

Yes, you cannot build a cluster with two Units that are different hw revisions by Default. However, there is a cli switch that enables that functionality; see http://docs-legacy.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/50/index.html#page/FortiOS%205.0%20Help/clustering.082.36.h... for more informations!

Regards,

martin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mhe
Contributor II

Yes, you cannot build a cluster with two Units that are different hw revisions by Default. However, there is a cli switch that enables that functionality; see http://docs-legacy.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/50/index.html#page/FortiOS%205.0%20Help/clustering.082.36.h... for more informations!

Regards,

martin

journeyman

Thanks for the link. The setting is

execute ha ignore-hardware-revision {disable | enable | status}
It seems quite odd that it's an execute command and not a configuration setting but nevermind.

Is there any disadvantage in using this setting to ignore the hardware version? And is there a way to get the hardware version from the cli?

mhe

I really don't know but I'm running a FG-100d Cluster with this configuration (different HW revisions) for some months without any problems.

martin

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors