Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FortiGeek
New Contributor

HA over distance eg fibre?

Hi Would anyone know if at all possible to link say to 310Bs in fail-over miles apart? Thank you
7 REPLIES 7
p768
New Contributor

any of these should provide what you want. 1000BASE-LX Single-mode fiber 5 km 1000BASE-LH Single-mode fiber using 1310 nm wavelength 10 km 1000BASE-ZX Single-mode fiber at 1550 nm wavelength ~ 70 km 1000BASE-LX10 Single-mode fiber using 1310 nm wavelength 10 km 1000BASE-BX10 Single-mode fiber, over single-strand fiber 10 km
FortiGeek
New Contributor

Thank' s p768 What I meant was two instead of to... Need to setup two 310Bs in failover some 30miles apart.. using fiber
Not applicable

I have two (2) FG310B approx. 6km distantce via fiber / LAN. No problems so far. Just upgraded the OS of the cluster, without any problem, upgrade was one after the other so almost no downtime (guess 25 pings (seconds) in total due to failovers).
peter_w
New Contributor

I have done this at a number of sites. It works well. Ensure that the latency between the sites is acceptable before attempting this. Fiber, as a medium, is fast. However, the cumulative latency caused by the various types of delay along the path may not be acceptable for your requirement. Also, I have implemented QoS on heartbeat traffic, where members of the cluster were separated by miles of fiber AND the heartbeat was sharing the same physical path as the regular traffic. my two cents. pete
FortiGeek
New Contributor

Ah thanks guy' s for the responses will move forward with confidence
TopJimmy
New Contributor

what' s the max latency before you think you would run into problems?
-TJ
-TJ
lmuir
New Contributor

what' s the max latency before you think you would run into problems?
200ms
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors