Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

HA Master and Slave - election process?

Within an HA cluster (2 x FortiGates) with the priority set to 250 on the master and 128 (default) on the slave. When the Master fails the failover process takes places and the Slave then becomes the new Master. However when the Master recovers and becomes active again should it then take back the active role of being Master or does it just become a slave within the cluster?
5 REPLIES 5
player
New Contributor

you can configure this option with the " session-pickup" option
player. rock the boat , dont sink the ship
player. rock the boat , dont sink the ship
Not applicable

hi player - just to confirm, with ' session pickup' enabled a failed master being the FG with the highest priority should resume the role of master once it recovers?
fortikid
New Contributor

Dear Bros! I have cool case related to HA on FG-1000A-FA2 as below: After HA config done, when i connect cable from same ports on every member of clusters, the traffic become very slow. Even, when i disconnect all cables on slave unit, while keep HA link between fiber ports of 2 FG, the status doesnt be improved. More details: 1. HA will be made in A-P mode 2. Master will use: Port 1,2,3(VLAN 1,2,3) to connect to internal LAN. Port 7,8 connect to 2 ADSL lines, and port 10 connect to fiber link. HA port is second fiber port on chassis. 3. Session pick-up is enabled. 4. Port monitoring include: Port 1,2,3, 7,8,10... Would you pls spend time in my case, bros..I really need your help now... Big tks to your supports. Brgds
Work..40xx..Eat..40xx..Drink..40xx.. Sleep..40xx..and 9mare..also..40xx..too.. Never Stop Learning...
Work..40xx..Eat..40xx..Drink..40xx.. Sleep..40xx..and 9mare..also..40xx..too.. Never Stop Learning...
red_adair
New Contributor III

the role of a new joining (or re joining) Device depends of how the CLI-Option under #config sys ha set override ena || dis is configured. In case override is enabled the Device with the higher prio will come back as master (if other conditions like monitored interfaces are met of course). Please check the " HA Guide" on docs.forticare.com. It explaines how the election process will work. -R.
os
New Contributor

Also, see below for corrected definition regarding HA age. http://kc.forticare.com/default.asp?id=3137
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors