Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Hossam3085
New Contributor

HA Active Passive connected to 2 core

Dear All,

I have an HA cluster working in active passive mode. Both fortigate firewalls are connected to one core switch. I just received another core switch and would like to implement VRRP on both core switches and still work in Forti Active passive HA. 

What are the options I have in this topology.

For example:

if I connect FW 1 to Core 1 and FW 2 to Core 2 
and core 1 and 2 are connected.

how will the traffic pass if FW 1 is active and core 1 is down? 

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Hossam El-Din Roshdy

1 REPLY 1
lgupta
Staff
Staff

Hello Hossam3085,

FGT when working in HA-AP mode only have one device passing traffic at a given time.  So you can consider HA cluster as one device.

VRRP once configured will have one single Virtual IP that can be used as Gateway IP.

You will need to use two interfaces on each firewall, and than put those two interfaces as a member of LAG interface. Each of the two interfaces from both the Firewalls, should be connected to each of the core switch.

Then you can configure a static route pointing towards VRRP Virtual IP through LAG interface.

I hope this helps.

Thank you!

Best regards,

-lgupta

If you feel the above steps helped to resolve the issue mark the reply as solved so that other customers can get it easily while searching on similar scenarios.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors