Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fback
New Contributor

Gigabit Fibre with static IP configured in PPOE - Still have to use FortiDDNS

Hi everyone, thank you for taking some of your time to read this.

We switched ISP a couple months ago for a Bell Gigabit Fibe Ethernet. They gave us a HomeHub 2000 that I had to put in bridge mode to stop it from acting as NAT router (first problem).

I then setup the WAN1 connection using the Bell credentials in PPOE and I could not get any signal.

I called Fortigate support and we setup a DNS using fortiguard effectively creating a domain name linked to our static IP.

Untitled.png

 Is this correct ? 

I found two similar threads but neither mention if they have static IP. Ultimately I would like to remove the fortiguard DNS server causing latency.

 - Fortinet 40f PPPOE connection fail on bell canada - Fortinet Community

- Technical Tip: Bell Fibre configuration directly o... - Fortinet Community 

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

By the way you can even eliminate the Bell HomeHub 2000 like below if you're not using any features on it. It's just a router.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/bypass-eliminating-home-hub-2000-bell-small-business-account-2405876...

My Lumen Fiber has very similar setup with PPPoE on a VLAN. I eliminated their Technicolor router and terminating the ethernet cable coming from the ONT device at FG40F.

Toshi

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
rosatechnocrat
Contributor II

There is no need to configure fortigaurd DDNS if you have static IP. 

Rosa Technocrat -- Also on YouTube---Please do Subscribe
Rosa Technocrat -- Also on YouTube---Please do Subscribe
fback
New Contributor

Thank you for your input @rosatechnocrat, I did some digging up and found that Bell fibre uses VLAN 35. I will try to remove the DNS server and redo the WAN interface. 

Actually, I might open a ticket with the support team.

Have a nice day,

Felix

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

By the way you can even eliminate the Bell HomeHub 2000 like below if you're not using any features on it. It's just a router.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/bypass-eliminating-home-hub-2000-bell-small-business-account-2405876...

My Lumen Fiber has very similar setup with PPPoE on a VLAN. I eliminated their Technicolor router and terminating the ethernet cable coming from the ONT device at FG40F.

Toshi

fback

@Toshi_Esumi , thank you for sharing your setup. Fortunately, the ONT is in the same room right beside the Fortigate. Did you have to tag your packets ?

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes. Lumen(formerly CenturyLink) uses VLAN 201. So I've set the valn subinterface with vlanid 201 on wan interface of my 40F.

<edit>Make sure you change the default "DHCP" setting on your wan1 interface to like "static" to avoid accidents or for security.</edit>

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors