Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MCGOD
New Contributor

Geo block wifi

Greetings. Situation: I have a router fortigate 60f and fortiap 221e which distributes wifi for mobile phones that do not have a mobile network. What method or rule can I prohibit or change the geolocation point on phones. And is it possible to do something like this without using a VPN?
Thank for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

Devices connected to WiFi have a private/local/reserved address. If you change your IP address to a public address you will be certainly blocked by the firewall, or at least your traffic will not be routed correctly.

AEK
AEK
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

There are a few methods that the phones use to determine their location. In this setup since (GPS/SIM) are not used, the only remaining method is through the public IP for the provided network. As I know the phone will communicate with a server and based on the source IP of the request, the server is able to find the real IP that is being used and the location. That information will be replied to the phone. I guess a similar way like this service works for example.
I don't think it's possible to intercept and alter this information through the FGT.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors