Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Joachim
New Contributor II

Free VPN Forticlient asks for license

I wanted to test a new version of Forticlient and somehow must have downloaded the wrong version, which showed me EMS and an expiration date. I uninstalled, rebooted and installed the correct VPN only version from https://www.fortinet.com/support/product-downloads#vpn, same problem.

I uninstalled, rebooted, cleaned registry, appdata, program files and program data from Fortinet/FortiClient entries. Reboot, reinistall of the old 6.4.8 VPN only client that I had saved on my hard drive.

Now also 6.4.8 shows me EMS and shows an expiration date.

Since I use for sure the free VPN only version, why does it ask for a license file? Where is the config stored that it lets the free version assume its the not free version?

2 Solutions
R_F

Hi,this is what Im referring for where you can download (support.fortinet.com) and  test FC with VPN function only. Pls see attached file for reference.FC.png

View solution in original post

Joachim
New Contributor II

Thank your for providing FortiClientVPNSetup_7.0.6.0290_x64.exe
This finally solved the issue!
So there seems to be a problem with the normal download link for VPN only, because it did install the full version. Maybe you could take a look into that?

Thank you so much :)

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Joachim,

Thanks for reaching Fortinet Community. Could you please download the VPN-only file from the support portal directly than any other website. Please find the link below where you can login and download the forticlient VPN-only file.

https://support.fortinet.com

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Joachim
New Contributor II

As I write above, I already did that and still get an expiration date "I uninstalled, rebooted and installed the correct VPN only version from https://www.fortinet.com/support/product-downloads#vpn, "

R_F
Contributor

I assume you have account for support.fortinet.com portal. Go to Download section and download FortiClient ver 6.0.x or 6.2.x. 

Joachim
New Contributor II

As I wrote above, I already did that and still get an expiration date "I uninstalled, rebooted and installed the correct VPN only version from https://www.fortinet.com/support/product-downloads#vpn, "

Debbie_FTNT

Hey Joachim,

did you use an online or offline installer for the 6.4.8 FortiClient installation?

In addition, do you only see the VPN option on the left-hand side in FortiClient, or other options? The VPN-only installer should only result in VPN features being visible, if more than that are visible then it would appear that somehow you managed to get the full FortiClient installed, not the VPN-only version.

As a comparison, a screenshot from a full (7.0) client:

Debbie_FTNT_0-1659344096574.png

and the VPN only (7.0) client:

Debbie_FTNT_1-1659344123977.png

Can you double-check the name of the installer you used?

For example, the online installer for the full version is called 'FortiClientOnlineInstaller.exe', and the online installer for VPN-only version is called 'FortiClientVPNOnlineInstaller.exe'.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
Debbie_FTNT

Just to be 100% sure you used the correct installer - downloading from

https://www.fortinet.com/support/product-downloads#vpn should give you the correct one (with 'VPN') in the name.

Joachim
New Contributor II

That's exactly where I downloaded FortiClientVPNOnlineInstaller.exe
When I use this installer on another client it will install VPN only. When I use it on my client, where I accidentally used the full 7.x trial and uninstalled it, it will install the version with all options. That's my problem. I use the correct installer and I uninstalled, deleted manually files and cleaned the registry. Still there is something left that triggers the VPN only client to behave like the full client.

Joachim
New Contributor II

I use two installers: FortiClientVPNOnlineInstaller.exe and FortiClientVPN_6.4.8\FortiClientVPN.msi 

Initially I used FortiClientVPN_6.4.8\FortiClientVPN.msi. Only after installing the 7.x version for testing I have the problem, that regardless which version I install I see more options than VPN only and have an expiration date.

Debbie_FTNT

Hey Joachim,

thanks for clarifying.

That is rather weird. I tested on a lab Windows VM (Windows 10) to see if this is a common issue - downloaded the Online Installer for the full version, installed it, removed it (just via uninstall option, I did NOT go to the same extent as you did), and then downloaded and installed the VPN only version.
I did end up with a VPN only FortiClient without any issues, so I'm really not sure what's going on.

Perhaps the version differences, between your full 6.4.8 and online VPN only 7.0, are causing this weird behavior?

You did install the full 7.0 version, removed that, and then tried the VPN-only 7.0 version, correct? The only difference in my lab is that I did not have previous 6.4.8 installation?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors