Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jeremie_Dufault
New Contributor

Fortiwifi 30D (POE) : TFTP Timeout?

Hi guys, Short story : We got a fortiwifi 30D in test from a guy of fortinet. Unfortunetaly, I format the boot device (yay) because I didn' t had the right password. I can' t restore the default firmware befause isn' t there (in the forti). So I setup an TFTP. Someone have got the same issue? Each time I initialise a TFTP transfer, the forti Timeout. The only port I can choose from the forti is WAN I tried 2 methods Over the network : DHCP enabled on the forti With a crossover cable : Static IP, gateway on computer and forti The same result occur on these 2 methods. I got a timeout from the forti This is the log from my tftp server : 2014-04-10 07:04:46.000 : INFO : TFTP : Starting TFTP server ' 10.0.201.115:69' 2014-04-10 07:04:46.000 : INFO : TFTP : TFTP Server start succeeded, serving at ' 10.0.201.115:69' 2014-04-10 07:05:08.000 : INFO : TFTP : Starting transfer of file ' image.out' from local ' 10.0.201.115:56986' to remote ' 10.0.201.108:2711' , send window size 1 2014-04-10 07:05:08.000 : INFO : TFTP : 1 transfers in progress 2014-04-10 07:05:38.000 : INFO : TFTP : Aborted transfer to ' 10.0.201.108:2711' , reason ' System.TimeoutException: Remote side didn' t respond in time' . I do the network diagnosis from the forti, all ip (gateway and tftp) are reacheable. Some have a idea? Any hints? Thanks :)
8 REPLIES 8
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Have no problems loading firmware via tftp; mind you we only have 80CM, 200B, 200Ds. From your set up, I say what is missing is disabling the Windows' firewall (or any 3rd party firewall).

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Jeremie_Dufault

Hi! Thanks for the help! The issue is now resolved :) How? I used a Mac instead of a Windows PC. Works flawless :)
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Looks kinda strange that the WAN port is to be used. All other (older) models use port1. I would use a straight-through cable, not a X-over, and try again. You should have a link LED lit on WAN to indicate that the polarity is OK.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Jeremie_Dufault

I' ll try a straight cable. This is a new model, maybe it' s for that reason they put Wan only for the management port
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

With the cross-over cable? Might be necessary as it' s a WAN port which usually doesn' t have hosts downstream. So, using a Mac, really? I deduce the (Windows based) TFTP server was incompatible. Which one is it?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Jeremie_Dufault

I was on MAC with a straight cable I try a lot of different tftp server.
demdix
New Contributor

I had the same issue with a 60D.   I tried 4 different TFTP servers on Windows.  The diagnostics in the BIOS could PING the tftp server and I could see from the logs that the TFTP server was asked for a file...

The answer using TFTP32 was to go into the settings and enable 'PXE Compatibility'

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

FWIW:

I know you found a workaround , but I bet it has to deal with the blksize. You can test the ( windows ) tftp-server by using a tftp client that allows you to set or adjust the blksize option

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors