Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FirewallNoob
New Contributor III

Fortiview Name Resolution

Hi Everyone - banging my head against the wall here on why source name resolution is working only on ONE device? See pic - it works on the first listed client but none of the others. What am I missing? I would like the fortigate to resolve names of *all* clients it possibly can on my LAN. New install on 101F version 6.4.4

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
FirewallNoob
New Contributor III

So, I turned on "Device Detection" on the LAN Network interface and it resolves some MAC addresses and names in the "Device" column, but not the Source and not for all and not accurately. There are duplicate MACs for several different devices and not sure why though they trace to Hewlett-Packard which would be our core switch (the MAC you see in the pic is listed for many other IPs) and not the actual PCs NIC. Why some would trace to HP and others trace to the actual computer NIC and others resolve to nothing at all seems odd - the core switches havent changed in 8 years. 

Also, I went to CLI and did:

config log setting

set resolve-ip enable

end

Is there anything else or is this feature really not supported and it just "kinda" works, sometimes? Any ideas appreciated. I have support and can create a ticket but figured someone has to know? This is just weird/strange behavior and that's not something I'd expect with a product at this price...it is wayyy more advanced than our 100D running 5.0.6 so there has to be a feature I'm missing somewhere? Thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors