Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
warev
New Contributor

Fortinet Developer Network Access

Is it any difference between A-A and A-P when upgrading? For an example, is it any difference between sessions lost. downtime or the complexity? We have a Active Active setup today and thinking that maybe its better with a Active Passive because every upgrade of firmware is failing, the secondary is succeeding but not the primary and vice versa in next upgrade

10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254
2 REPLIES 2
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @warev,

There shouldn't be a difference. Please refer to https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-FortiGate-HA-upgrade-procedure-and-the-sta...

Regards, 

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I don't think that the HA mode will make any difference. I noticed that 'hanging' upgrades are occurring more often in latest releases which is annoying, and hopefully fixed soon. So, it's not only you.

One remedy is to make the FGT with the older version the primary, and reinitiate the upgrade. While the image is uploaded, reboot the secondary (such that it is not available for upgrading). The primary then will upgrade and the cluster will form. Worked for me a couple of times doing this remotely...

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors