Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
avilt
New Contributor

Fortinet 200D Vlan & GW creation

I am new to Fortinet. I have a Fortinet 200D firewall. I would like to create two vlans, ports 1-6, vlan 100 & ports 7-16, vlan 200.

Assign one gateway IP for each vlan. I do not see these options in GUI. How do I define two vlans and gateway IP addresses?

3 REPLIES 3
norouzi
Contributor

You can define trunk ports and new VLAN in system>Network>Interface > Create New > Type = VLAN.

In this scenario your interface changes to trunk port.

But I think you do not need to define VLANs . Instead of VLAN you can select "Software Switch". Your interfaces like 1-6 can be a new Interface with one Layer 3 IP Address as you want.

And other new "Switch Interface"s like this.

avilt
New Contributor

Thank You,

This time I have created two hardware switches but I believe same can be achieved by creating software switch as well.

So what is the decision point on switch type selection?

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

avilt wrote:

This time I have created two hardware switches but I believe same can be achieved by creating software switch as well.

So what is the decision point on switch type selection?

Edit: Only real reason that I could find for going with a software switch is if you are planning to merge or combine your wifi interface into your local network subnet.

The Fortigate's own hardware handles the traffic between the ports on hardware or virtual switch as appose to say the CPU on the Fortigate that does this on a a software switch.  A proper description as follows...

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors