Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jhoggard
New Contributor

Fortimanager restore vs retrieve

Hi,

I'm working on the fortimanager and just wondered whats the difference between the restore vs retrieve and when would you use each one?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
chall_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Restore is generally only used when describing the loading of the FortiManager configuration. Retrieve is for getting an updated copy of the FortiGate configuration from the FortiGate.

Although Restore isn't mention here, the description of FortiManager Operations might help: https://docs.fortinet.com...uide/645328/operations

Chris Hall
Fortinet Technical Support
jhoggard

Thanks. so the retrieve will pull the full running configuration that is live on the box except policies which you can import.

When you look at the configuration revision history if i want to go back to the running-config that was on the box a week ago if i select that date and click retrieve it doesn't seem to import the configuration from that date it does show the config differences however, is this expected behavior? it just seems to pull up the live config from the box? so does this mean i cannot go back? for example if we made some routing changes and pushed them down to the box and this caused us some issues i would like to go back to the previous revision history to revert this change.

Thanks

jhoggard

I think i have answered my own question here. 

Retrieve - can change back to last time installed config and also update device config status to sync, 

but it will change package status to unknown, you can fix this by doing an import. Regardless if you select an older revision it will only pull back the latest live running-config from the fortigate. You would use this say if you can made a load of routing changes on the fortimanager so the status is modified but not yet pushed them down to the fortigate, this will put the config status back in sync.

Revert - revert to any previous revision from revision history page, this is where if config had been pushed to the fortigate and caused for example routing issues i can revert back to a known good revision to rollback the change.

Correct me if i'm wrong on the above :)

chall_FTNT

Retrieve is a quick way to sync up device-level settings.  It is normally not required provided you have left Auto-Update enabled.

Revert (or Retrieve) -- just be aware that IF reverting to an older revision includes changes to policies & objects, an Import is needed.

Revert > Import > Install -- yes, this would one means of rolling back a FortiGate configuration to a known-good configuration

Chris Hall
Fortinet Technical Support
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors