Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Matan23
New Contributor

Fortimanager Install Packege&Device setting

Hello everyone , 

I'm new here and it may be a silly question but i didn't find anything on the internet . 

Can someone explain me what is the differance between the "Install Packege&Device setting" and the "Install Device setting(only)" ?  

What does the "Device setting" mean ?  i thougt that this is the configuration that was on the "Device manager" but it seems that there is also "Install Config" . 

Can anyone clear things out for me ? 

Thank you :)

1 Solution
neonbit
Valued Contributor

There are three types of settings you can configure on the FGT, Device, Network and Policy.

Device settings are things like hostname, DNS, email settings etc.

Network settings are interfaces, routes etc.

Policy settings are policies, address objects, security profiles etc (these are configured in the policy section).

When you push out device settings only, it will only push out the device and network settings, it won't do anything with policies.

When you push out package and device settings it will push everything (device, network and policies).

This is nice as it allows you to choose if you want to push out the device/network settings by themselves or push the policy as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
neonbit
Valued Contributor

There are three types of settings you can configure on the FGT, Device, Network and Policy.

Device settings are things like hostname, DNS, email settings etc.

Network settings are interfaces, routes etc.

Policy settings are policies, address objects, security profiles etc (these are configured in the policy section).

When you push out device settings only, it will only push out the device and network settings, it won't do anything with policies.

When you push out package and device settings it will push everything (device, network and policies).

This is nice as it allows you to choose if you want to push out the device/network settings by themselves or push the policy as well.

Matan23

Hey  ,

Thanks for the elaborated answer , it was really helpful ! 

Thank you .

sw2090
Honored Contributor

basically there is two ;)

Networkinterfaces are part of device settings ;)

Device settings is basically anything device specific, like interface config, vpn config, system settings, snmp etc

The Policy Package only contains policies and virtual Interface mappings and address objects. It also contains the security profiles for webfilter,urlfilter, ssl inspection etc.

If you roll device settings only no policy package will be rolled out to the devices. So devices would not get changes in the policypackge.

Mostly the Fortimanager detects itself wether you just changed device settings or/and policy package and suggests what to roll out.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors