Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
superd
New Contributor

Fortimanager Appliance to VM Migration

Hi all, 

Is it possible, and if so, how difficult is it to migrate a Fortimanager Appliance to a VM? My understanding is the configs are very different. 

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=FD41305

I found the above thread, which i think outlines the process. Has anyone carried this out before, was it successfull?

The other question i have, how much of the config is actually specific to Fortimanager? Would it potentially be a better option to just re-connect / import the Fortigate firewall configs and build a fresh config on FGM, 5-6 in total?

Cheers,

D

1 REPLY 1
gfleming
Staff
Staff

I think that linked doc has good instructions for doing what you want. I would not suggest just re-importing from the managed FortiGates because you will lose some important data.

Why not try the migration to the VM? See if it works and confirm all your db configs are there. Your existing FMG will work fine until you migrate the actual FortiGates to the new one.

Cheers,
Graham
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors