Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
celina-netbeopen
New Contributor

Fortimail

Morning,

I have two questions that i need help with, if anyone has an explanation please comment below.

1/ Can you know the FortiMail's mode only with a report log ? If so, what field you must check, with the explanation for each one of them ? 

2/ In the access receive rule, in my knowledge the RCPT TO field has to be the protected domain to match the rule (like the Fortimail checks the RCPT TO field first then checks the MAIL FROM), my question is do you need an access receive rule for internal emails, ex : the protected domain is "Fortinet", MAIL FROM : userA@fortinet.com RCPT TO : userB@fortinet.com does this enveloppe need an access receive rule ?

Thank you in advance

Kind regards,

FortiMail 

1 Solution
srahmat
Staff
Staff

Hi Celina,

1) Can you know the FortiMail's mode only with a report log ? If so, what field you must check, with the explanation for each one of them ?
>> No you can't.

2) In the access receive rule, in my knowledge the RCPT TO field has to be the protected domain to match the rule (like the Fortimail checks the RCPT TO field first then checks the MAIL FROM), my question is do you need an access receive rule for internal emails, ex : the protected domain is "Fortinet", MAIL FROM : userA@fortinet.com RCPT TO : userB@fortinet.com does this enveloppe need an access receive rule ?
>> If recipient email address in the SMTP envelope (RCPT TO:) is a member of a protected domain, the email will be Relay/proxy with greylisting if no access control rules exist, or none match.
>> Refer here: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.4.2/administration-guide/381666/controlling-smtp-acce...

Regards,
Shol

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
srahmat
Staff
Staff

Hi Celina,

1) Can you know the FortiMail's mode only with a report log ? If so, what field you must check, with the explanation for each one of them ?
>> No you can't.

2) In the access receive rule, in my knowledge the RCPT TO field has to be the protected domain to match the rule (like the Fortimail checks the RCPT TO field first then checks the MAIL FROM), my question is do you need an access receive rule for internal emails, ex : the protected domain is "Fortinet", MAIL FROM : userA@fortinet.com RCPT TO : userB@fortinet.com does this enveloppe need an access receive rule ?
>> If recipient email address in the SMTP envelope (RCPT TO:) is a member of a protected domain, the email will be Relay/proxy with greylisting if no access control rules exist, or none match.
>> Refer here: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.4.2/administration-guide/381666/controlling-smtp-acce...

Regards,
Shol

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors