Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
iliessens
New Contributor II

Fortimail v7.4.1 does not scan URL's

Hi all,

Lately some emails containing URLs seem to skip the URL filter and rewrite that is configured.

Nothing concerning the URLs show up in the logs, so it seems that they just go undetected.

Yet, they hit exactly the same policies as emails that are getting processed.

I suspect it might have something to do with "Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable" that is used in at least two of the cases I've been able to track down.

Has anybody seen this behaviour? Is this expected?

We are running Fortimail v7.4.1 on a VM. Not sure if the behaviour was the same in older versions.

Many thanks,

Imre

1 Solution
iliessens
New Contributor II

So, it seems that I've been a bit confused by the FortiGuard categories changing between the email passing through the unit and me manually checking.

Additionally, not all categories are currently enabled for URL rewrite. So, we'll have to revisit that as well.

And the URLs are only logged when either the filter or the URL redirect triggers on them, not all URLs as I mistakenly expected.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
xshkurti
Staff
Staff

@iliessens 

Have you configured antispam settings for URL check?

config antispam settings

set url-checking {aggressive | strict}

end

Follow this link for more info:

Configuring the FortiGuard URL filter | FortiMail 7.4.1 | Fortinet Document Library

Regards,

iliessens
New Contributor II

No, this option is not configured. I see that it defaults to "strict" mode, so that's what we are using.

And that definitely works for most of the emails, containing similar URLs.

I checked one of the sample emails, and the URLs are written as absolute links.

However, due to the quoted-printable encoding, the HTML turns out a little different:

<a href=3D"https://example.com"></a>

iliessens
New Contributor II

So, it seems that I've been a bit confused by the FortiGuard categories changing between the email passing through the unit and me manually checking.

Additionally, not all categories are currently enabled for URL rewrite. So, we'll have to revisit that as well.

And the URLs are only logged when either the filter or the URL redirect triggers on them, not all URLs as I mistakenly expected.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors