Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Tezro
New Contributor

Fortilink (switch - fortigate) over media converter not working ...

Hello,   The issue is: why Fortilink cannot be established over a media converter ? What are the limitations ...? Vendors of ""proper"" media-converters ??? I thought that media converter is only a dump converter: from electric signals to optical -so it does not introduce anything in the traffic -> ergo it completely transparent and FolrtiLink shoul (!) works   What about config like this Of course : -FG is configured for FortLink on the port that is connected to the media-converter -SFP are proper for the fiber : SFP SM for SM fiber type -Link on BOTH sides are UP and blinking... [F-Gate UTP] <--Cat 5e copper --> [ UTP  MediaConverter  SFP] <--Fiber --> [SFP  FortiSwitch]   any magic command from CLI (again...!) on Fgate or Fswitch ?????   UPDATE: the SAME Fortinet SFP module plugged from switch to Fluke Analyzer and connected via media-converter to normal  (non-fortilink) port in FGate  works from the first kick ...   WTH ?!?!?!?   THA   Tezro

10 REPLIES 10
BostonBruno
New Contributor

I'm facing an issue with establishing Fortilink over a media converter, and I'm seeking some insights from fellow community members. Despite the assumption that a media converter simply converts electrical signals to optical signals without introducing any changes to the traffic, I am unable to establish a successful Fortilink connection. I have ensured that the FortiGate (FG) is configured for Fortilink on the port connected to the media converter, and both ends of the link are UP and blinking. However, for some reason, the Fortilink connection does not work as expected.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors