Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gcarvalho
New Contributor III

Fortilink across a 3rd Party L2 Switch

Hi Folks,

I've already browsed in the community and find some topics about configuring Fortilink as L3 when there is a 3rd Party Switch between the Fortinet devices. But, by I understood, the 3rd party sw needs to do L3 function, so you have to point this sw as gateway on FSW to reach the FGT Fortilink's IP.

But, I have a scenario where the 3rd party switch just act as L2, so in this case, do I need any additional configuration for the fortilink to work?

The environment have: Fortigate > FortiSwitch > 3rd Party Sw > FortiSwitch

And a last question: Is that possible to disable the DHCP Server on Fortilink interface and use static IPs instead?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Gui
Cheers,Gui
2 REPLIES 2
gfleming
Staff
Staff

You can do this. Check out the documentation here: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiswitch/7.2.1/fortilink-guide/801183/fortilink-over-a-point-t...

As for disabling DHCP on FortiLink and using static IPs I'm not entirely sure if you can. It would lead to a bunch of manual configuration. Why would you not want to use DHCP on FortiLink?

Cheers,
Graham
gcarvalho
New Contributor III

@gfleming , thanks for the reply.

I checked the documentation and I'll use this guide to configure the fortilink p2p.

About the DHCP, the customer wants to use the vlan id and IPs of a managment vlan in the fortilink. In this way, other devices than FGT and FSW will stay in this same subnet used by Fortilink, and they don't want DHCP Server enabled in this mgmt vlan to avoid unwanted devices to get an IP.

Cheers,
Gui
Cheers,Gui
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors