Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
time4pj
New Contributor II

Fortigate to two Fortiswitches

Hi Folks,

I'm technical, but not an IT person.  It is less than once a year I need to do something with my Fortigate - so I always have a big knowledge refresh and ramp-up for any simple change.  

I have a Fortigate 60F and two (2) Fortiswitches - a 108E and a 124D.  The 108E has servers and the 124D is family and household. My fortigate can see all of my FortiDevices no matter how I configure them ...

My question is:  What is the better configuration?

A) Connect 60F A -> 108E -> 124D (Daisy Chained switches)

B) Connect 60F A -> 108E and 60F B -> 124D (Two switches off the firewall)

C) Other?

I don't care about redundancy or failover.  

I was watching the guy on YouTube with the hair and it seemed like I should daisy chain, but 'm not sure.

Thanks,

TFPJ

1 Solution
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor II

Hello @time4pj ,

If you don't need different network segments and separate firewalls, you can go with model A. 

If you have a concern about this model, you can ask us every type of question. 

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW

View solution in original post

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
3 REPLIES 3
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor II

Hello @time4pj ,

If you don't need different network segments and separate firewalls, you can go with model A. 

If you have a concern about this model, you can ask us every type of question. 

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
navellano
Staff
Staff

Hi time4pj,

Good day! 

Daisy chaining switches connects numerous switches in a linear pattern. This arrangement is excellent for expanding network coverage or connecting devices sequentially. However, it has a single point of failure: if one of the switches in the chain fails, all downstream devices will lose connectivity. Try to consider letter B design.

Regards,

time4pj
New Contributor II

I went with Fortigate A -> 108E -> 124D -> Fortigate B ...

Thanks folks ...  It works ...  

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors