Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
acsuser
New Contributor

Fortigate licensing

Hi All,

I am in the UK and have a query about how the Fortinet licensing works in the following 2 scenarios:

1) if i was to buy a 2nd hand Fortigate, is there any problems with us not being the "original" end user? If we want to add a UTM bundle would this be possible?

2) If we are to buy a new Fortigate from an approved VAR (so us being the perceived end customer), and we were to resell this again to our customer - would there be any issues with licensing and support or can we transfer this to the end customer? 

This is not likely to be an ongoing thing so we do not want to sign up as a registered VAR.

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

acsuser wrote:

Hi All,

I am in the UK and have a query about how the Fortinet licensing works in the following 2 scenarios:

1) if i was to buy a 2nd hand Fortigate, is there any problems with us not being the "original" end user? If we want to add a UTM bundle would this be possible?

2) If we are to buy a new Fortigate from an approved VAR (so us being the perceived end customer), and we were to resell this again to our customer - would there be any issues with licensing and support or can we transfer this to the end customer? 

This is not likely to be an ongoing thing so we do not want to sign up as a registered VAR.

Thanks,

In my experience, I have seen:

1) I have bought and sold units many times. I have added licenses to units I bought from other registered owners, and have sold units that were registered to me, which leads me to

2) When a unit is exchanged, customer service can change the registration (or unregister) the unit so that the new owners can add it to their account. I have done this several times. The licensing and support go with the unit, so if you sell a unit with 6 months of support left on it, the new buyers have a bonus.

An exception to number two is if you have a similar unit, you can swap the license as an RMA replacement, and move it laterally.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
acsuser

Thanks RWP!

I hope its the same in the UK also!

rwpatterson wrote:

In my experience, I have seen:

1) I have bought and sold units many times. I have added licenses to units I bought from other registered owners, and have sold units that were registered to me, which leads me to

2) When a unit is exchanged, customer service can change the registration (or unregister) the unit so that the new owners can add it to their account. I have done this several times. The licensing and support go with the unit, so if you sell a unit with 6 months of support left on it, the new buyers have a bonus.

An exception to number two is if you have a similar unit, you can swap the license as an RMA replacement, and move it laterally.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors